AUG 16,2011 - AUG 16,2011 (1 DAYS)
Spittelau Power Plant - Energy is also Art and Klosterneuburg - "Cradle of Austria". A side trip to Setagaya Park - Unterdobling. Another side trip to Grinzing.
Tip 1: Spittelau and Klosterneuburg.
Tip 2: Setagaya Park - Unterdobling.
Tip 3: Grinzing village.
Orientation: In this itinerary we visit two different sites. The distance between them is 10 minutes RIDE in public transportation. Both of them SHOULD be visited in a sunny day. The Spittelau Power Plant is better lighted in the afternoon sun - so, I recommend, visiting, first, the Stift Klosterneubur and, later, the Spittelau Power Plant.
Duration: 1/2 day. With the Setagaya Garden and/or Grinzing - 1 day.
Distance: negligble. With Setagaya Garden and/or Grinzing - 3-5 km.
The Hundertwasser-Heizkraftwerk (Power Plant) in Spittelau:
Transportaion: Spittelau Bahnh station: U4 or U6.
Vienna is certainly the most beautiful power-plant in the world - it looked just the way every power plant looks like, before Friedensreich Hundertwasser started to re-decorate it, following a major fire in 1989 - the façade was redesigned and was given its present colorful, irregular structures: colourful walls, bright windows, a tall tower and a golden dome. He created a new German word for what he did : "Behuebschen" (make things more beautiful). You may take the U-bahn and get there in order to walk around the building a bit, BUT you may not enter it. It is a popular photographic highlight in Vienna. It functions, nowadays, as a waste incineration plant. Since the 1990s years, the former utility building has combined the topics of waste, energy and art in a fascinating way. The main tower of the facility is 126 metres high and easily recognized from many spots above Vienna (something resembling a minaret is visible from many ends of the Austrian capital). It is situated between a large station for various means of transport, the Vienna Economics University and the Bundeskriminalamt, the federal police of Austria. On the other side, there is the Donaukanal, a side-branch of the Danube. Due to the large plazas around the buidling and its "public" nature, the many students who live in this area often use the squares in front of it as recreational grounds. The most amazing thing is that there isn't any smell or smoke or anything around it, it very clean around it and on the territory.
On a guided tour of the plant, visitors get an insight into Vienna's waste, recycling and disposal system, as well as the environmentally friendly generation of thermal heat and hot water. The Müllverbrennungsanlage Spittelau has the capacity to burn almost 17 tons of garbage per hour, producing some six megawatts of electricity and 60 megawatts of heat - which is directly used for the Fernwärme heating system of the city. WIEN ENERGIE Fernwärme, a company of WIEN ENERGIE, Spittelauer Lände 45, 1090 Vienna. Phone: + 43 (0)1 313 26– 0, Fax: + 43 (0)1 313 26–2200, www.fernwaermewien.at. APPOINTMENT ARRANGEMENTS FOR GUIDED TOURS: Phone: +43 (0) 810 900 400.
On the left side of the plant you'll see paved hiking trail that allows you to see the Avant-garde decorated plant from all sides. Do not walk through the metro line - there is no access. It is necessary to go back to the subway and, from there, follow the track. Also unusual perspective opens on the right side - from the terrace adjacent to the Technical University. Truly, it is an outstanding example of how a past-ugly-conventional energy and waste plant can be transformed into an awkward architectural creation and becomes a tourist attraction. If there is time - this building should be included in your travel itinerary, especially because metro is 50 meters away. It is recommended to see the plant during sunny days.
The Danube Canal - west to the Spittelau Power Plant:
From Klosterneuburg Weidling to Vienna Spittelau: commuter train S40 towards Wien Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof - 11 min (3 stops).
From Vienna Spittelau to Klosterneuburg Kierling: train R towards Sigmundsherberg - 10 min (2 stops) OR
From Vienna Spittelau to Klosterneuburg Weidling: commuter train S40 towards St.Pölten Hbf - 11 min (3 stops).
Klosterneuburg Monastery (Stift Klosterneuburg) is a twelfth-century Augustinian monastery of the Roman Catholic Church located in the town of Klosterneuburg in Lower Austria, , just north of the Vienna city limits - overlooking the Danube river. Twenty minutes outside the city limits, the Stift Klosterneuburg, a 900-year-old monastery straight out of a fairy tale, comes into view, rising up above the B14 highway with its stern peaks set against the backdrop of a steep, perfect-for-grape-growing hill.
Public transport: 20 minutes bus ride, 239A regional bus from Heilegenstadt Station in Vienna, along the Danube up to the impressive monastery
OR from Wien Heiligenstadt - take commuter train S40 towards Tulln/Donau Stadt (7 min, 2 stops) to Klosterneuburg Weidling.
OR from Wien Mitte-Landstraße - take commuter train S2 towards Mistelbach/Zaya, 8 min (3 stops) to Wien Handelskai (Bahnsteige 1-2), from Wien Handelskai (Bahnsteige 11-12) - take commuter train S45 towards Wien Hütteldorf 5 min (1 stop) to Wien Heiligenstadt, From there take commuter train S40 towards St.Pölten Hbf 7 min (2 stops) to
OR from Wien Heiligenstadt take train R towards Sigmundsherberg
6 min (1 stop) to Klosterneuburg Kierling.
Another alternative: take the last stop on the U6 and then walk right outside and hop on the 239 bus. There is a bus stop right outside the monastery.
Note: the monastery offers guided tours for the Museum, Wine Cellar, the Imperial Tour (state rooms), and the 'Sacred Tour' ((abbey, church, world famous Verdun Altar) and the Treasury. These tours are only in German. They offer free audio phone guides in multiple languages for several of the tours (the wine cellar is not "covered" by the audio guides). Photos are allowed in most of the monastery and church highlights.
The origins of Klosterneuburg Monastery go back to Margrave Leopold III, who in 1113 relocated his residence to Klosterneuburg and in the following year fulfilled a vow by founding the monastery. A year later, the monastery was founded in 1114 by Saint Leopold III of Babenberg, the patron saint of Austria, and his second wife Agnes of Germany. In 1133 the Babenberg Prince summoned the Canons Regular of St. Augustine to Klosterneuburg, where they were to spend centuries developing the monastery into a centre of religious life, culture and scholarship according to the monastic Rule of Saint Augustine. The abbey church, dedicated the Nativity of Mary (Maria Geburt), was consecrated in 1136 and later remodeled in the Baroque style in the seventeenth century. The impressive monastery complex was mostly constructed between 1730 and 1834. Its foundations, including a castle tower and a Gothic chapel, date back to the twelfth century. From 1634 on, the Habsburg rulers had the facilities rebuilt in the Baroque style. In 1879, the abbey church and monastery were restored and the neo-Gothic twin steeples were erected:
The imperial crown over the Monastery complex:
The monastery has unbroken wine growing tradition for nearly 900 years. Since its foundation in the year 1114 the Stift Klosterneuburg winery has produced wine making it the oldest winery in Austria. With a total vineyard area of 108 hectares and top vineyard fields in four different wine villages, it also counts among the largest and most famous wineries in the country. Opening hours of the WINE SHOP: Mon-Fri: 9.00 - 18.00, Sat: 9.00 - 17.00, Sun: noon - 17.00. Closed on public holidays.
In the Monastery's cellars - you'll see jars of wine-based jam and fancy vinegars, as well as native wines (15 wine varieties) and apple juices. The abbey produces about a million bottles of wine each year:
Klosterneuburg Monastery Interior:
The monastery is home to a series of notable artworks, from the world-famous Verdun Altar from the Middle Ages, made in 1181 by Nicholas of Verdun - to magnificent Baroque works through to modern painting. Its foundations, including a castle tower and a Gothic chapel, date back to the twelfth century. Other older buildings still extant within the complex include the chapel of 1318 with Saint Leopold's tomb. The monastery also contains a museum with a collection of Gothic and Baroque sculpture and a gallery of paintings, including fifteen panel paintings by Rueland Frueauf from 1505, four Passion paintings from the backside of the Verduner Altar from 1331, and the Babenberg genealogical tree. In addition to tours and exhibitions, the monastery presents specially conceived workshops for adults, school classes and children.
The apocryphal version of the Stift's origin is quite romantic and based on a legend: on their wedding day in 1106, Leopold III's bride Agnes's veil blew away. So distraught was his new queen — it was a second marriage for both — that Leopold swore he would build a monastery on the spot where the fabric was found. Nine years later Leopold stumbled upon the veil while hunting and honored his promise:
Rueland Frueauf - finding the Veil:
Collegiate Church of Klosterneuburg:
The Collegiate Church of the Nativity of Mary started to be built in 1114, donated by Margrave Leopold III and consecrated in 1136. In the 17th and early 18th century, it was converted to Baroque style in several stages. It invol
ved highly respected artists such as Giovanni Battista Carlone, Peter Strudel, Antonio Bellucci, Matthias Steinl, Johann Michael Rottmayr and Santino Bussi. Also famous is the organ in the collegiate church from 1642, built by Johann Boyfriend from Passau and is one of the most important instruments in Austria. In the late 19th century the architect Friedrich von Schmidt built the church towers and re-designed the exterior of the nave into neo-Romanesque forms.
The surviving medieval parts of Klosterneuburg Abbey are located northwest of the church. Particularly impressive is the cloister, which was built during yeras 1250-1350 and was fitted with a six-part ribbed vault. After the disastrous fire of 1330 it was originally equipped with valuable stained glass, of which have still preserved some fragments and could be seen in the Abbey Museum and in the Leopold chapel. The cloister was restored in 1869-1881.
East of the cloister closes the former chapter house (now Leopold chapel) that under which is the crypt. In the crypt founder Margrave Leopold III. and his wife Agnes are buried. To the left of the grid of the chapel is a staircase leading down to the non-public crypt. After the canonization of Margrave 1485, this space became an important place of pilgrimage. The room was equipped with stucco 1677-1680 by Jakob shock and frescoes by Johann Christoph Prandtl. The ceiling scenes show various miracles that should have taken place with the assistance of the St. Leopold.
Cloister of the monastery of Klosterneuburg:
Leopold chapel (former chapter hall with Gothic windows dating from 13th and 15th centuries), restored between 1677-1680: here is located the famous Verdun Altar of 1181 is also placed on what 1936 shrine for the relics of St. Leopold was installed. In the chapel is presented every year his skull relic on and around the death of the Saints (November 15). The Verdun Altar was made in 1181 by Nicholas of Verdun. Its three parts comprise 45 gilded copper plates modeled on Byzantine paragons, similar to the Shrine of the Three Kings at Cologne Cathedral:
High altar of the abbey church (1728). The high altar is a work by Matthias Steinl and was built in 1728. The altar picture, by Johann Georg Schmidt, shows, fitting the name of the church, the Birth of the Virgin:
Since the 20th century is here the seven-branched candlestick, which was built around 1135 and is thus the oldest surviving piece of equipment of the church. It was probably cast in bronze in Verona. The shape of the Jewish Menorah is here specifically in the Christian sense to the "root of Jesse" has been reinterpreted (the genealogy of Christ). The seven branches symbolize the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit:
Freisinger or Wehinger Chapel (1394, restored 1869-1881):
In the southwest corner of the cloister finally finds the Wehinger Chapel (also Freising Chapel), which was consecrated in 1394. It is used as a burial place for the brothers Berthold (Bishop of Freising, † 1410) and Reinhard of Wehingen († 1394). The chapel was, however, significantly reduced in the 17th century and rebuilt in the 19th century. Except for some architectural elements, only the high-quality tombs of the medieval principals have survived.
Leopoldihof (Kuchlhof): West of the cloister is the Leopoldihof, also called "Kuchlhof" courtyard. It is entered through a Gothic gatehouse of the 14th century with two-sided booths. Right behind it on the west side we find the former two-storey palace of the Marquis Leopold III., Which was built in the early 12th century and used for the margrave pair as a residence. Today the monastery archives are housed here. In the eastern corner is the current Augustine Hall (the former. Refectory), built in 1508 and 1725 which have completely redesigned. Today, this space is used for events and concerts. In the middle of the courtyard stands a fountain dated of 1592 - the figure of St. Leopold was not created until 1680.
Baroque Imperial Wing:
The Baroque wing should had been from 1730, designed by Donato Felice d'Allio and Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach as a monastery residence of Emperor Charles VI. - being expanded monumentaly. When the emperor died in 1740, however, unexpectedly, it came to an abrupt halt of construction. At this time, only one-eighth of the proposed plan was built. It was not until 1834-1842 that was completed one of the courtyards (so-called. Kaiserhof), designed by Joseph Kornhäusel, whereby at least a quarter of the planned "Austrian Escorial" was finished. The outer walls have typical Baroque character and are highly indented - particularly the east facade. They are constructed with monumental columns and a large dome.
The Imperial Room of Emperor Charles VI. with the unfinished Sala Terrena in the middle of the east wing now serve as a visitor reception and provides an interesting insight into a Baroque site. This room should be designed as a kind of cave or garden room, which of the imperial court sculptor Lorenzo Mattielli created around 1735 the monumental male supporting figures (Atlases).
The first floor of the east wing contains the Imperial Apartments, which are accessible via the huge Kaiserstiege. From here you enter the marble hall, which is divided by colossal columns at the bottom. The ceiling fresco the glory of the house of Austria in 1749 painted by Daniel Gran. It glorifies the majesty of Austria and the once reigning dynasties in Austria, ie Babenberg, Habsburg and the House of Habsburg-Lorraine. The full title is: honor, glory and majesty of the house of Austria, starting in the Babenberg tribal increased more in the Habsburg home and fixed: in Lotharingian. The fresco shows several groups. It is called also the Napoleon Room. Napoleon visited the monastery in 20 DEC 1805:
In the middle of an obelisk with the representation of the Holy Margrave Leopold III:
Allegory of the Austrian Majesty. A female figure as an allegory of the Austrian Majesty (Maria Theresia equate) are the three most important crowns of the Habsburgs presents: the Roman-German imperial crown, the Hungarian Holy Crown, and the Bohemian Wenzel crown.
Allegory of the Austrian bravery. It is represented by Leopold V, who triumphed with the Austrian shield over the Turks:
Allegory of the Austrian wisdom and fortitude. The wisdom is symbolized by a woman with the snake, while the steadfastness crushed with a column a many-headed Hydra:
The union of the Houses of Habsburg-Lorraine is embodied by the King and Queen Maria Theresa and Francis Stephen of Lorraine:
Kaizer apartments - audience reception hall:
The Feasts Hall - tapestries (Telemachos Adventures) from Brussel factory (every 1 sqm of tapestry was manufactured during 4 months), candles sticks from Japan:
Corner Imperial family room:
A clock in thew corner room - shelled by bullets from WW2:
Imperial room (1739):
In the Klosterneuburg Monastery Treasury - you can see the Crown of St. Leopold and other rare gems:
The textile treasure of Klosterneuburg treasury is unique. It includes rare medieval textiles, precious woven and embroidered vestments. Klosterneuburg Abbey has mainly an exceptional collection of vestments of Baroque silk fabrics:
Note that an entire charming village grew up around the Stift, with sidewalk cafes, shops, and a tidy and flowery park centering everything, so allow half a day to have a leisurely visit. You can enjoy a nice view from the elevated plateau where the site is located:
Cozy Viennese “heurige” (wine taverns) also await you in the old Viennese wine villages of Neustift, Nussdorf, Sievering and Grinzing.
A side trip to Setagaya Park - Unterdobling:
Setagayapark is a SMALL Japanese-style garden in the Dobling district (pretty close to our two former attractions). It was designed 1992 by a Japanese landscape gardener Ken Nakajima. There is a Twin City agreement for many years between Vienna's Döbling district and Setagaya, a suburb of Tokyo. Setagayapark imitates a Japanese landscape with several ponds and streams, and it contains also European vegetation with Japanese elements that are typical of Japanese gardens: There is a Japanese tea house, a "Yukimi style" stone lantern, several stone sculptures and a fountain, as well as a poem engraved in a piece of stone at the entrance of the Setagaya garden. The Japanese vegetation includes: maple bushes, ornamental cherry trees and azaleas. Note: no other remarkable attraction around.
Walk from Spittelau Bahn Station (1.5 km.): Head west toward Döblinger Gürtel/Prof.-Jodl-Hof, 300 m. Continue onto Guneschgasse, 150 m. Turn right onto Döblinger Hauptstraße, 900 m. Continue up onto Hohe Warte
and the garden will be on your right.
Walk from Heiligenstadt Bahn Station (1.1 km.): Head west toward Boschstraße, 120 m. Turn left onto Boschstraße, 150 m. Turn right toward Felix-Braun-Gasse, 25 m. Turn left toward Felix-Braun-Gasse, 180 m. Turn right onto Felix-Braun-Gasse, 80 m. Continue onto Klabundgasse, 400 m.
Turn right onto Gallmeyergasse, 120 m. Turn left onto Hohe Warte and the garden will be on your right.
From Klosterneuburg to Setagaya Park: from Klosterneuburg Weidling take commuter train S40 towards Wien Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof - 7 min (2 stops) to Wien Heiligenstadt. Walk to Setagaya Park (see above).
Grinzing is a neighbourhood in Vienna on the outermost northwestern edge. It is famous for the restaurants and wineries (Heuriger). (Heurig means "this year's"). It is worth a visit just for the Heurigen to sample the wine and food. A Heuriger has legal limitations compared to taverns or restaurants: only its own wine can be served. However the other attractive thing about the area is fact that you are in a world capital, yet feel as though you are in a small village, surrounded by nature. 45% of the neighbourhood are covered by forest and another 33% is used for agriculture (most being vinyards). Best time to go -early afternoon (16.00-18.00). Later, you'll find loads of foreign tourists - mainly, from Japan. Not surprisingly, there are also several Asian restaurants in Grinzing... Just walk on the streets of Grinzing ! You should like the atmosphere here. Houses in traditional style, churches, trees, flower beds, cheerful people... and young wine.
Transportation: Arrive to Schottentor station (U-bahn line U2). From there - the tram 38 goes all the way Grinzing (final stop). From Heiligenstadt U-4 station - take the 38A bus.
Walk of 3-4 m. in Grinzing: From the Cobenzl winery parking lot (near the station of the 38A bus from Heiligenstadt U-4) - head southeast toward Höhenstraße, 200 m. Turn left onto Höhenstraße, 10 m. Turn right onto Oberer Reisenbergweg, 1.2 km. Turn right onto Cobenzlgasse and Peter-Alexander-Platz will be on the left 200 m. further.
Head northeast on toward Krapfenwaldg, 40 m. Turn left onto Krapfenwaldgasse, 50 m. Slight right to stay on Krapfenwaldgasse, 400 m. Turn left to stay on Krapfenwaldgasse, 260 m. Turn left to stay on Krapfenwaldgasse, 350 m. Here, we get more views over the vineyards. After taking in the view, we'll head back downhill and through the centre of Grinzing. Head southeast on Krapfenwaldgasse, 350 m. Turn right to stay on Krapfenwaldgasse, 260 m. Turn right to stay on Krapfenwaldgasse, 450 m.
Slight left onto Cobenzlgasse, 160 m. Continue onto Himmelstraße, 35 m. Turn right onto Mannagettagasse, 350 m. Turn right onto An den langen Lüssen and Grinzing Friedhof (Cemetery) is on the left. Gustav Mahler's Grave is here. After his death, the body of his daughter, Maria, who died in 1907, was moved here from Maierniggasse In the adjoining row are the gravestones of Alma Mahler-Werfel (died 1964) and her daughter Manon Gropius (died 1935, the "Angel" of Alban Berg's violin concerto). Mahler's sister Justine and her husband Arnold Rosé were also buried in the Grinzing Cemetery. The name of their daughter, Alma Rosé, who died of food poisoning or possibly typhus in Auschwitz, is also on the gravestone.
Head southeast on An den langen Lüssen, 70 m. On your right is the Grinzinger Pfarrkirche:
Turn left toward Straßergasse, 190 m. Turn left onto Straßergasse, 350 m. Continue onto Himmelstraße:
Head west on Himmelstraße toward Zur Bellvuegasse, 950 m. Turn right to stay on Himmelstraße, 300 m. Turn right onto Höhenstraße, 350 m. Turn left onto Am Cobenzl to return with the 38A bus to Vienna Heiligenstadt U-4 station.