AUG 06,2011 - AUG 06,2011 (1 DAYS)
A great place for a day trip from Budapest. Gödöllő is a town situated about 30 km northeast from the outskirts of Budapest. Its population is about 35,000 residents and is growing rapidly.
Duration: 1 day. Distance: 5-6 km.
Orientation: a wonderful small city. You'll love the parks and royal estates here, the stunning central Liberty Square and several amazing attractions connected with beautiful art, handicrafts and gardening and aristocratic air and history all around.
Attractions: The Royal Palace of Gödöllő (Gödöllői Királyi Kastély), The King's Hill Pavilion (Királyi domb pavilonja), Gödöllői Felső park (upper palace park) or Kastélypark, Palmhouse (Pálmaház), Erzsébet Park (Elizabeth's Park), The Baroque Theatre, Gödöllői Városi Múzeum (Town Museum of Gödöllő), Alsópark (Lower Park), Szabadság tér (Liberty Square), World Peace Gong (Világbéke Gong), Hotel Erzsébet Királyné (Hotel Queen Elizabeth), Reformed Church (Református templom), statue commemorating the victims of WWI (Első világháborús emlékmű), Scout Boy statue, The House of Arts (Művészetek Háza Gödöllő Kulturális és Konferencia Központ), Barracks of guards (Testőrlaktanya), GIM-House - Godollo Applied Arts Workshop (Gödöllői Iparművészeti Műhely), Holy Trinity Church (Szentháromság templom), Saint Mary Column (Maria Immaculata, Mária-oszlop), Royal Waiting Room (Királyi Váró),
Start: Erzsébet park HÉV station.
End: Erzsébet park HÉV station / Gödöllő MÁV station OR Gödöllő MÁV train stop (Gödöllő vasúti megállóhely) (Állomás tér 1-2, 700m. south-east of the Palace entrance).
Transportation: You can get there via the suburban commuter train (HÉV) or the country’s intercity train network (MÁV).
It can be easily reached from Budapest with the suburban railway (HÉV). The Hév suburban railway leaves regularly from Budapest’s Örs vezér tere station (the eastern terminus of the metro line 2), stopping at the Gödöllõ Szabadság tér station. Be sure to take train H8 towards Gödöllő and not one towards Csömör or Cinkota. There are 4 trains/hour during peak hours and 2 trains/hour at other times, and the trip from Örs Vezér tere takes approx. 50 min. Tickets can be bought at Örs Vezér tere or from the inspector on board. Prices: 745 HUF, with Budapest period travel card/pass, this is reduced to 370 HUF. Gödöllő has four HÉV stops: Erzsébet park (right in between the Felső Park and the scenic Erzsébet park), Szabadság tér (Liberty Square) (very close to Gödöllő Palace), (in the downtown and steps away from the royal palace and city museum), Palotakert (near the Palotakert housing development), and Gödöllő (connected to the MÁV station of the same name).
Alternatively, you can take a train from Budapest’s Keleti railway station: Gödöllő is also served by MÁV suburban trains on the Budapest - Gödöllő - Hatvan line, which originates at Keleti pályaudvar (metro line 2) in Budapest. There are generally 2 trains/hour Budapest - Gödöllő with 1 train/hour running onwards to Hatvan. The Hatvan trains will stop in all MÁV three stations: Gödöllő-Állami telepek, Gödöllő, and Máriabesnyő, the Gödöllő trains only at Állami telepek and Gödöllő station. The ride takes 38 minutes and costs 745 HUF or 370 HUF with Budapest travel card/pass.
It is 200 m. walk from the Szabadság tér to the Palace and park. Grassalkovich Kastély (Grassalkovich Palace) is located across the street SOUTH from the Szabadság tér HÉV stop. The royal palace is Gödöllő's main attraction.
It is 1.2 km. walk from the Gödöllő MÁV station to the City Museum: Head west toward Állomás tér, 15 m. Turn right onto Állomás tér, 20 m. Turn left to stay on Állomás tér, 5 m. Turn right onto Żywiec-sétány, 130 m. Sharp left to stay on Żywiec-sétány, 210 m. Continue onto Dunaszerdahely sétány, 240 m. Continue onto Forssa-sétány, 120 m. Slight right toward Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav-sétány, 70 m. Slight left onto Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav-sétány, 45 m. Slight right to stay on Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav-sétány, 140 m. Turn left toward Szabadság tér, 15 m. Turn right onto Szabadság tér, 40 m. Turn right toward Szabadság tér, 110 m. Turn left onto Szabadság tér, 30 m. and you'll face the entrance to Grassalkovich Kastély (Grassalkovich Palace - SOUTH to the square), Gödöllői Városi Múzeum (Town Museum of Gödöllő - EAST to the square) and the three main parks - which are all located around the palace: Alsó park (lower palace park - SOUTH-EAST to the Liberty Square and IN FRONT OF the Palace), Felső park (upper palace park, ADJACENT TO THE BACK OF THE PALACE, SOUTH-WEST to the square), and Erzsébet park, named after Queen Elizabeth (WEST to the square and the Palace).
Erzsébet park HÉV station:
In Gödöllő the 250-year-old Royal Mansion is one of the largest palaces in the country and is a significant work of Hungarian Baroque architecture. It is the second largest baroque chateau of the world. The palace at Gödöllő was originally built for the aristocratic Grassalkovich family. Antal Grassalkovich I (1694–1771) was one of the greatest noblemen of 18th-century in Hungary. Grassalkovich, born of a family of the lesser nobility, began his career as a lawyer in 1715. A year later he was already working with the "Hofkammer" (The Royal Chamber, a body of the Habsburg financial administration in the 16–18th centuries). In 1727 he became president of the Commission of New Acquisitions (Neoaquistica Commissio) dealing with the revision and arrangement of the chaotic ownership rights after the Turkish rule. He first came across the estate of Gödöllő, whose then proprietress, Krisztina Bossányi, could verify her ownership rights. Increasing in political power and wealth, Grassalkovich planned the development of a large estate, having its centre in Gödöllő. This became possible after the death of Krisztina Bossányi (1737) when Grassalkovich successively purchased the properties from her heirs. He began to build his palatial residence as early as 1741, which, as the greatest Baroque manor house in Hungary is, even today the principle landmark of Gödöllő (see below). Grassalkovich, who curried favour with King Charles III and Queen Maria Theresa, also managed very successfully the properties of the Treasury. For his economic and political abilities he received first the title of baron and later on became a count. The son of Grassalkovich I, Antal Grassalkovich II (1734–1794), who was raised to the rank of prince, cared little for the estate. He leased out the properties one after the other, liquidated the household in Gödöllő and moved to Vienna. Following his death, the estate, heavily charged with debts, was inherited by his son, Antal Grassalkovich III. Grassalkovich III, who continued to increase the debts, died without opffspring, hence the properties were inherited on the female line.
In 1850 a banker, György Sina, purchased the estate of Gödöllő. He, and later on his son, rarely stayed in Gödöllő. They sold the whole of the property to a Belgian bank. The Hungarian state bought it back from this bank in March 1867 and gave it, together with the mansion house, to Franz Joseph I and Empress Elisabeth of Austria ("Sissi") as a coronation gift. Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary and his wife Elisabeth ("Sisi") had their summer residence here and they frequently stayed here. The royal family stayed in Gödöllő mainly in spring and autumn, and this resulted in a significant upswing in the life of the town. Most of the buildings had been restored to their former glory. Classical concerts and major festivals were organized in the surrounding estates including the ceremonial court of the palace. Gödöllő became a country town from 1864 and grew into an increasingly popular summer resort, owing, in addition to the presence of the royal family, to its natural position and its clean, fresh air. Annually 300–400 families of Pest spent the summer season in Gödöllő, which was growing richer and richer with bathing places and restaurants or village inns. No big industry had settled in Gödöllő: at the turn of the century, from 1901 to 1920 the only organized Hungarian artists' colony of the period was working here. In autumn 1918, King Charles IV accepted the resignation of the Hungarian government. In those days, several politicians turned up in the Gödöllő mansion, among others Mihály Károlyi who, after some discussions which ended in failure, was designated prime minister by the victorious revolution. In 1919 the military general staff of the Hungarian Soviet Republic had their headquarters in the Gödöllő mansion house. From 1920 the mansion house became a seat of the governor, Miklós Horthy. Gödöllő has records of a Jewish population since the first half of the 19th century. The Jews were suppliers of the court of Franz Joseph I since 1867. A synagogue was built in 1870 and a Jewish school operated from 1857 to 1944. The Jewish population was 195 in 1880, and 276 in 1930, after reaching a peak of 451 in 1920. After World War I, the Jews were severely persecuted, particularly after László Endre's 1923 appointment as district commissioner of the town. The Jewish population of Gödöllő was deported to Auschwitz on 12 June 1944 as part of the so-called "emergency" deportations from parts of southern Hungary. This order came directly from Hungarian government circles to enable Miklós Horthy (the local governor) to walk around the town without having to see any Jews and to make it possible for him to personally experience the consequences of the anti-Jewish measures. The town was at this time the "summer residence" of Horthy, regent of Hungary. After World War II the development of the community took a new turn. Soviet troops were stationed in part of the Gödöllő mansion house, while in a larger part there was a social welfare home. In contrast to its earlier character as a summer-resort, industry started in Gödöllő. The first step in this direction was the building of the "Ganz" Factory of Electric Measuring Instruments in 1950, which was then followed by other industrial plants. In the same year the University of Agricultural Sciences moved into Gödöllő. This meant the completion of the community's character as an agrarian centre and resulted in a further expansion of the network of agricultural institutions linked to the university. On 1 January 1966, Gödöllő was promoted to the rank of a town. The old peasant houses disappeared one after the other, giving place to housing estates and public institutions. Political changes which came about at the end of the 1980s and the beginning of the 1990s brought about significant changes in the life of Gödöllő. Some of the industrial projects settled here in the 1950s closed, while others which were viable were privatized. The number of industrial and service units in private ownership increased and quickly transformed the appearance of the town.
During the 2011 Hungarian EU Presidency, the informal ministerial meetings were held in the Royal Palace, because the government didn't want the delegation's moving to paralyze the traffic in Budapest. The main venues were the Baroque Palace's riding school and the reconstructed stables.
The town hosted The 10th ASEM Foreign Ministers' Meeting which is an inter-regional forum. It consists of the 27 members of the European Union (EU), the European Commission, the 10 members of the ASEAN Secretariat, China, Japan, and the Republic of Korea, India, Mongolia, Pakistan, Australia, Russia, New Zealand, Bangladesh, Norway, and Switzerland. The main components of the ASEM process are the following so-called three pillars: Political Pillar,Economical Pillar,Social, Cultural and Educational Pillar. In general, the process is considered by the parties involved to be a way of deepening the relations between Asia and Europe at all levels, which is deemed necessary to achieve a more balanced political and economic world order. The process is enhanced by the biennial meetings of heads of state, alternately in Europe and Asia, and political, economic, and socio-cultural meetings and events at various levels.
The Royal Palace of Gödöllő (Gödöllői Királyi Kastély) is 180-200 m. SOUTH to the Szabadság tér. In the same location is also the local tourist information office. It is an imperial and royal Hungarian palace - famous for being a favourite place of Queen Elisabeth of Hungary. The construction began around 1733, under the direction of András Mayerhoffer (1690–1771) a famous builder from Salzburg who worked in Baroque and Zopf styles. During this period the palace became the symbol of independent Hungarian statehood, and, as a residential centre it had a political significance of it own. It was Queen Elisabeth (1837–1898) who specially loved staying in Gödöllő, where the Hungarian personnel and neighborhood of the palace always warmly welcomed her. She was able to converse fluently in Hungarian. Following her tragic death, a memorial park adjoining the upper-garden was built. During the period of the royal decades - the suites were made more comfortable, and a marble stable and coach house were built. The riding hall was re-modeled. Between the two world wars the palace served as the residence for Regent Miklós Horthy (see above). No significant building took place during this period, apart from an air-raid shelter in the southern front garden. After 1945 the palace, like many other buildings in Hungary, fell into decay. Soviet and Hungarian troops used the building, some of the beautifully decorated rooms were used for an old people's home, and the park was divided into smaller plots of land. In 1990, after the departure of the Soviet troops, clearing the almost ruined Grassalkovich mansion house started, which was essential if the restoration trend. As a result, the mansion house may, after a few years, receive guests visiting the town in its full splendor. The protection of the palace as a historical monument started in 1981, when the National Board for Monuments launched its palace project. The most important tasks of preservation began in 1986 and were completed in the end of 1991. During this time the palace was partly emptied. By 1990 the Soviet troops left the southern wing, then the old people's home was closed down. Reconstruction is the principle of the interiors completed so far creating the state as it was around the 1880s. One of the most striking features of the Empress Elisabeth Exhibition is its historical accuracy.
The palace has a double U shape, and is surrounded by an enormous park. The building underwent several enlargements and modifications during the 18th century; its present shape being established in the time of the third generation of the Grassalkovich family. By then the building had 8 wings, and - besides the residential part - it contained a church, a theatre, a riding-hall, a hothouse, a greenhouse for flowers and an orangery.
Presently, the visitor service units are situated on the ground floor: cloak-room, ticket office, tourist information centre, toilets (also for the disabled), payphone, etc. Various retail units are found on the northern side: a souvenir centre, photo studio. On the southern side there is a coffee/pastry shop (delicious cakes, reasonably priced) and several function rooms.
Opening hours: Summer: from 1 April - until 31 October daily 10.00 - 18.00 (ticket office until 17:00). Winter: from 1 November - until 31 March
MON - FRI 10.00 - 16.00 (ticket office until 15.00), SAT - SUN 10.00 - 17.00 (ticket office until 16:00).
Prices: Permanent exhibition (Royal apartments , The Era of the Grassalkovich,Queen Elisabeth memorial exhibition , “Centuries, Inhabitants,Stories” – the 20th century history of the palace): Adult 2.200 HUF, Student 1.100 HUF, Family ticket 4.600 HUF (two adults and children under 18.). Guided tour prices for groups – 70-80 mins, 1-9 persons 5.300 HUF, 10-25 persons 6.500 HUF. Audio guides are available (multiple languages) 800 HUF. Baroque Theatre (only with guiding) – 30 mins, (SAT and SUN only): Adult 1.400 HUF, Student 800 HUF, Additional ticket/student - 650 HUF. 3D cinema "The Castle of Gödöllő ever and now" and The horse culture of royals and aristocratics (Interactive exhibition in the Baroque stables and Stableman rooms) - From THU until SUN - 45 mins: Adult 1.200 HUF, Additional ticket 900 HUF, Student 600 HUF, Additional Student 450 HUF. Horthy Bunker (only with guiding) - 25-30 mins: Adult 800 HUF, Additional ticket – Adult 700 HUF, Student 500 HUF, Additional Student 450 HUF. Falconry and archery show
(12th MAY- 15th SEP only) – SUN 15.00 – 60 mins: Adults 1.500 HUF, Students 900,- HUF, Family ticket 3.500 HUF (two adults and children under 18).
Note: NO PICTURES INSIDE THE PALACE.
Gödöllő Palace permanent exhibition is housed in 31 galleries (26 rooms open to the public). The main section is filling six galleries: this is an exhibition of the first century of the Palace and the first three generations of the Grassalkovich family, with insight into the Baroque church. The wall paintings dating from this period have been restored or reconstructed. Do not expect the luxury and richness of other Imperial palaces in Europe, such as Versailles in France or Schönbrunn in Austria: interiors are rather plain and sparsely furnished. The Soviet occupation in WW2 and the Communist era had stripped the palace of most of its original charm, and not to mention, the original furnishings or artwork that may have existed in the glorious imperial past. Yet, count at least an hour. No photos. You are not allowed to enter into the palace rooms with: backpacks, umbrellas or strollers:
The cheerful inner court is a resting place, where various outdoor programmes are held:
The King's Hill Pavilion (Királyi domb pavilonja): located around 200 metres from the Palace, into the Gödöllői Felső park (upper palace park) or Kastélypark (see below). the King’s Hill pavilion is the only remaining building in the Palace park which dates from the Baroque period. It was Antal Grassalkovich I who had the hexagonal pavilion built in the 1760s. The pavilion was built on an artificial hill known as King’s Hill. (This name has historical significance. It used to be the name of a place where a new king would ride up following his coronation ceremony and swing his sword towards the four winds as a sign of his will to defend the country against attacks coming from any direction). The pavilion was in this condition at the beginning of the royal period in 1867, and it could be visited by the public. The building was reconstructed in 2002:
54 oil paintings depicting Hungarian leaders and kings were incorporated into the paneled walls of the pavilion. The majority of the pictures have been destroyed or have disappeared and in the 1980s, only the bare walls were left standing. The set of pictures was re-created by means of advanced photographic technology in 2004, and since then the pavilion may be visited on guided tours. The 54 oil paintings depicting the leaders and kings incorporated into the paneled walls of the pavilion all share a common frame structure of laurel wreaths and phylacteries. There are portraits of Hungarian leaders from the time of the Hungarian conquest and those of later Hungarian kings. Galleries of ancestors and kings would be created in the 17th and 18th centuries as ornamentation for aristocratic residences. On the one hand this was a way of expressing their sense of nobility, and on the other it was a pictorial representation of their attitude to history. A speciality of the series of pictures in Gödöllő is that Grassalkovich erected a separate building for the purpose of evoking the whole of Hungarian history with a near-complete set of former rulers. The displays include the name of the portrait’s subject in Latin, his number in the line of rulers and the dates of his reign. Rulers of greater significance have larger portraits and have been placed in special positions over the doors and the windows. The line starts with Attila’s portrait over the northern entrance. He is followed by Keve underneath him and then the portraits follow one after the other in a clockwise manner. (After a full turn, the lines of pictures continue spirally downwards, always taking one step down after each turn under the starting picture). Some of the pictures were damaged during the War of Independence in 1848–49. Baron Simon Sina, the new owner of the palace, had the pavilion renovated in 1857 in preparation for Francis Joseph I’s visit to Gödöllő. He had copies of the damaged pictures painted and also added to the collection portraits of the rulers from the century that had passed since the initial construction of the pavilion.
The three main parks are all located around the palace: Felső park (upper palace park), Erzsébet park, named after Queen Elizabeth and Alsó park (lower palace park). All in all, Gödöllő is a great place to visit and to have a feel for a royal Hungary by the countryside. It’s great escape to the country and to experience what life is like outside of the grand city of Budapest.
Gödöllői Felső park (upper palace park) or Kastélypark: Felső Park is located directly behind the palace and is mostly easily accessed from the Szabadság tér or Erzsébet Park HÉV stops. There is a wild chestnut path with a row of trees where it feels as though strolling through eras from long ago. The northern front garden, at the main façade with its so-called Italian bastions and walkways was reconstructed with historical authenticity in 1998. The 26-hectare English park, which is open to the public through the year, was declared a nature reserve in 1998. Its botanical curiosities are much appreciated by the visitors. Riding competitions are held in the park annually. Visiting of the park is free of charge. Garden and Park opening hours: 1 NOV - 31 MAR: 06.00 – 18.00. 1 APR - 31 OCT: 06.00 – 20.00:
The Upper Park hosts, during the year, various peasants' and handicrafts workshops, pony rides and flower market and, even, a small zoo, in the Palmhouse (Pálmaház), Martinovics u. 2/a. It is in the SOUTH part of the Upper Park. Daily 08:00-17:00.
The Erzsébet Park (Elizabeth's Park): Erzsébet Park was built in memory of Sisi, after she was assassinated. The park’s entrance is a long trail of lindens leading to her statue. Turning right at the entrance you'll find the Kálvária monument, which depicts the crucifixion and was commissioned by Grassalkovich and built in 1771. The cult of Queen
Elisabeth is mainly preserved in the park, which was named after her. After the queen’s death Gödöllő was the first to establish a memorial park in November 1898. The 2.5 m high statue of Elisabeth, created by József Róna, was revealed by Franz Joseph and Valéria Mária in 1901. The stone mound behind the statue was also raised in honour of Queen Elisabeth. The Calvary, built in 1771, can also be found in the Elisabeth Park. Such public creations of the Baroque religious art are usually placed on hills. The so called Alsópark ( see below) also belonged to the castle in the past. In 1933 the world-meeting of scouts, the jamboree, was held here. In 1994 Zsigmond Kisfaludi Stróbl created a statue of a boy scout, as a memoir of the jamboree:
The Baroque Theatre: In the southernmost wing of the Palace, Count Antal Grassalkovich II (1734–1794) had a theatre auditorium constructed between 1782 and 1785. 24.5 m long, 8 m wide and 9.5 m high, the space resulted from making the formerly 3-storey wing into one. The walls were decorated with Neo-classical, late Baroque paintings. The theatre was in operation only when the Count was in residence at Gödöllő. The story of the theatre came to an end in 1867 when it was converted into rooms for the entourage of the royal family. There is no information on the theatre for around 7 decades after the death of Antal Grassalkovich II (1794). It ceased to exist in 1867, when the Palace was bought by the Hungarian state and free use of it made over as a coronation gift to Franz Joseph I and Queen Elizabeth. The building was hastily renovated in order to make it suitable for accommodating the royal family and the royal household. All the theatre furnishings were auctioned off and the inside of the theatre was once again divided into three separate floors by inserting two ceilings. A total of 15 rooms together with corridors were constructed on these floors. This palace layout remained unchanged until 1986, by which time the state of the building had deteriorated so badly due to improper usage following World War II that the ceiling fell in. The theatre building, previously known only from written sources, was identified when the wall-painting extending over all three floors was uncovered. Further examination of the walls also provided clear evidence of traces of the stage equipment of the age. Reconstruction was completed in August 2003, since then it has provided a venue for high standard performances, and it is now open to museum visitors. The various facilities necessary for running the theatre, such as changing rooms, store-rooms and machinery, have been established on two, newly-built cellar levels. The theatre, which can seat 95, once again became a venue for quality theatrical performances in August 2003. A curiosity of theatrical history, this part of the palace can be visited on guided tours. Your ticket includes visit in the stables and an interesting exhibition about horsemanship in Hungary.
Chandelier in the Baroque Theatre:
Gödöllői Városi Múzeum (Town Museum of Gödöllő) is located on Szabadság tér, close to the HÉV station. The exhibit focuses primarily on the Gödöllő artists' colony from the early 1900s, and has several excellent examples of Hungarian Art Nouveau. There is also an ethnographic exhibit on Oceania, collected by Ferenc Ignácz, who worked at the university in Gödöllő. Another small room houses the private collection of Zoltán Mihály Csupor, a Catholic priest. This is the oldest building of Gödöllő in the centre and It is called Hamvay-mansion, and it hosts the Municipal Museum of Gödöllő. The mansion was built by Ferenc Hamvay,
the lord of the settlement in 1662. Antal Grassalkovich I. It had a storey
built onto the top of the building and used it as an inn. The first chemist’s was moved here in 1814 by Antal Grassalkovich III. During the royal times it functioned as Elisabeth Hotel, and became the most important social meeting place. Later the hotel was closed, and at first it
functioned as a high school from 1916, and then as an elementary school from 1948. In 1972 it stored the collection of local history, and in 1988 it officially became a museum. It has three permanent and several periodic exhibitions:
Alsópark, Gödöllő. Alsó Park is located directly in front of the palace and has a giant tree sculpture called the World Tree.
Szabadság tér: a marvelous square. A masterpiece of landscaping !!! It was voted the "Most beautiful Main Square in Hungary" in 2013.
World Peace Gong (Világbéke Gong) near the main square:
In the NORTH end of Szabadság tér (LIberety Square ), stands the former Town Hall (Járási Hivatal) - today, Hotel Erzsébet Királyné (Hotel Queen Elizabeth), 2 DózsaGyörgy street. Seccession architecture is represented by this monumental building.
Nearby is the Reformed Church (Református templom), 9 Szabadság square (Close to Hotel Erzsébet Királyné (Queen Elisabeth Hotel). This Baroque style church built in 1745 with the support of Antal Grassalkovich I. is an onion dome church. Massaes on Sundays.
Godollo Reformed Lyceum High School and Dormitory are also here. From the schoolyard is open a door to a tourist accommodation (four rooms).
In the NORTH-EAST edge of Szabadság tér, into the park, stands a statue commemorating the victims of WWI (Első világháborús emlékmű) - erected by Lőrinc Siklódy in 1931:
The Scout Boy statue, erected by István Paál in 1994 to commemorate the World Scout Jamboree in 1933 can be found right next to it:
The House of Arts (Művészetek Háza Gödöllő Kulturális és Konferencia Központ), Szabadság út 6 is a bit EAST to the Szabadság tér (cross Szabadság út). Open: MON - FRI 08.30 -21.00. It might be open also in SAT - SUN - depending on current cultural events. Cultural and Conference Centre.Concerts, dance theater shows, Children and Youth Exhibition, festivals:
Return 100 m. back (WEST) to the square along Szabadság út to meet the Barracks of guards (Testőrlaktanya), Szabadság út, 2 - opposite the castle in the Lower park. In this one-story Baroque-style building lived Grassalkoviches cattle directors:
We offer you a short detour to the GIM-House - Godollo Applied Arts Workshop (Gödöllői Iparművészeti Műhely), Körösfői Kriesch Aladár utca, 15-17 (EAST to the Haraszti temető - cemetery). A showroom and Handicraft Workshop of local contemporary artists. DO NOT MISS the GIM-House's park/garden with its exceptional, stunning colors and plants. In the garden is an open air exhibit place. From the Liberty Square head northwest on Szabadság tér towards Dózsa György út, 110 m. Continue onto Dózsa György út, 450 m. Turn left onto Körösfői Kriesch Aladár utca and the GIM-house is 160 m. further on your left. GIM-house and exhibitions regularly can be visited on Saturdays and Sundays 14.00 to 17.00 (1 NOV - 31 MAR), 14.00 to 18.00 (1 APR - 31 OCT). Other days - by appointment. RECOMMENDED !!! Inspiring place !!!
(Photos taken from the GIMHaz web site):
From here, on your way back to the Liberty Sqaure (Szabadság tér) visit also the Holy Trinity Church. From GIM HÁZ, Körösfői Kriesch Aladár utca 15-17 - head southwest on Körösfői Kriesch Aladár u. toward Szent Imre u., 130 m. Turn left onto Szent Imre utca, 170 m. and the church will be on the right. The Holy Trinity Church (Szentháromság templom), Szent Imre utca, 15, is a simple yet a unique work of art, exciting architectural phenomenon: a series carpets showing the members of the Árpád House who were canonized. Erzsébet Szekeres, textile artist from Gödöllő made the series of 21 carpet pictures showing the 13 members of Árpád House canonised and beautified by the Roman Catholic Church: King Saint Stephen of Hungary, Duke Saint Emeric, Saint Margaret of Scotland, King Saint Ladislaus I of Hungary, Saint Margaret of Hungary, Saint Agnes of Prague, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, Saint Elisabeth of Portugal, and those beutified: Erzsébet Tössi, Jolán and Gertrude. Three archangels belong here: Gabriel, Raphael and Michael and Bishop Saint Martin. The series inaugurated in 2008 also shows a picture of the Hungarian Golgotha and the Holy Mother of Jesus Christ. Opening hours: MON - SUN 17.00 - 18.00(!):
It is 500 m. walk back to Szabadság tér. Head southeast on Szent Imre u. toward Kossuth Lajos u., 40 m. Turn left 78 m. toward Szabadság tér. The square is consistently EASTWARD. Sharp right toward Szabadság tér, 45 m. Turn left toward Szabadság tér, 30 m. Turn right onto Szabadság tér, 140 m. Turn left to stay on Szabadság tér, 35 m. Turn right toward Szabadság tér, 35 m. Turn left toward Szabadság tér, 25 m. Turn right toward Szabadság tér, 15 m. Turn left toward Szabadság tér, 5 m. Turn right toward Szabadság tér, 35 m. Turn left toward Szabadság tér, 25 m. Turn left onto Szabadság tér, 10 m.
In case you return to Budapest from the Szabadság tér suburban train station - walk a few metres WEST to this station to the Maria Garden. Saint Mary Column (Maria Immaculata, Mária-oszlop), inside the Maria garden is a beautiful statue, ornamented with the statues of some saints in beautiful Baroque bas-reliefs and erected by Martin Vögerl on Antal Grassalkovich's orders. It is the most beautiful statue of the city: four embossments are on the pedestal, showing the encounter of Mary and Elisabeth, the annunciation, the introduction of Mary in the temple and the assumption of the Blessed Virgin. On the corners the statues of four saints can be seen: Theresa, Anthony, Florian and Roch. Mary stands at the top of the pillar. Next is the Statue of Duke Saint Imre (Emeric) erected with public contributions by Ludvig Krausz. The sculpture, made of soft sandstone, has been renovated several times, most recently in 2006:
In case you return to Budapest from the Gödöllő végállomás, the HÉV suburban train terminal (connected to the MÁV station of the same name) - see, opposite (WEST) to this station the Royal Waiting Room (Királyi Váró), Állomás tér 1-2 (1100 m. south-east of the Palace entrance.It is a 1.1 km. walk from Gödöllő, Szabadság tér. Head southeast on Szabadság tér toward Szabadság út, 35 m. Turn left toward Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav-sétány, 15 m. Turn right toward Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav-sétány, 60 m. Slight left onto Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav-sétány, 190 m. Continue onto Forssa-sétány, 120 m. Continue onto Dunaszerdahely sétány, 240 m. Continue onto Żywiec-sétány, 210 m. Sharp right to stay on Żywiec-sétány, 15 m. Continue straight to stay on Żywiec-sétány, 120 m. Turn left onto Állomás tér, 5 m. Turn right to stay on Állomás tér, 55 m. The Royal Waiting Room (Királyi Váró) is on the left - a branch of the Town Museum of Gödöllő. The royal couple regularly traveled by train to Godollo. The Godollo station building was released on April 2, 1867. In 1868, a wooden, Tyrolean-style temporary pavilion was built for the royal couple as a waiting room. In the years of 1870's became more vivid the railway traffic. The royal family staying in Godollo made the town to a trendy, fashionable summer resort. In 1874, the station was converted into a two-story building. In addition to the rail office designed first-, second- and third-class waiting room and a restaurant with dance hall. In 1882, a new Royal Waiting house built in neo-Renaissance style. The building designed by a major Hungarian architect, Miklós Ybl. In the Franz Joseph's waiting room is an exhibition of the history of transport, a branch of the Hungarian Transport Museum. In Queen Elizabeth's waiting room and the Prince's waiting room can be see a local history museum focusing to the royal family cult. Open: 10.00–16.00. Price: 300 HUF: