JUL 31,2011 - JUL 31,2011 (1 DAYS)
1 day around the Heroes' Square: The Heroes' Square, The National Museum of Fine Arts (closed until May 2018), Palace of Art (the Béla Bartók National Concert Hall, the Ludwig Museum, the Festival Theatre), Budapest City Park, Castle Vajdahunyad, the Ják chapel, The Statue of Anonymus, the city lake with its ice skating rink (winter only), Szechenyi Baths, Budapest Zoo & Botanical Garden.
Start & End: Hősök tere M1 Metro station.
Hősök tere - The Heroes' Square:
Heroes' Square is the largest and most impressive square of the city. Heroes’ Square in the 6th district is one of the most visited sights in Budapest. It is a World Heritage site. Whether you are a history buff, or a normal tourist, you cannot skip this place. It is a gem in it's own right, a simply fabulous monument.
Transport: Take the M1 (Yellow line) to Hősök tere.
Orientation: Hősök tere is surrounded by two important buildings, Museum of Fine Arts on the left and Palace of Art (or more accurately Hall of Art) on the right. On the other side it faces Andrássy Avenue which has two buildings looking at the square — one is residential and the other one is the embassy of Serbia (former Yugoslavian embassy where Imre Nagy secured sanctuary in 1956).
The square had been constructed in 1896 to mark the 1000th anniversary of Hungary. It is located at the end of Andrássy Avenue and next to City Park. It is surrounded by two important buildings, Museum of Fine Arts on the left (see Tip below) and Kunsthalle (Hall of Art) on the right, The square construction was part of a much larger construction project which also included the expansion and refurbishing of Andrássy Avenue and the construction of the first metro line in Budapest.
The central feature of Heroes' Square, as well as a landmark of Budapest, is the Millennium Memorial (Millenáriumi Emlékmű). The Millennium Monument, designed in 1894 by Albert Schickedanz and completed thirty-five years later. The many statues were designed by György Zala. The Millennium Monument in the middle of the square was erected (in 1896-7) to commemorate the 1000-year-old arrival of the Magyars to the Carpathian areas. Archangel Gabriel (the symbol of the Roman Catholic religion) stands on top of the center pillar (36 m. high), holding the holy St. Stephen’s Crown and the double cross of Christianity. According to the story, Gabriel appeared to St. Stephen in his dream and offered him the crown of Hungary. Pope Sylvester II indeed sent a crown to him acknowledging Hungary and King Stephen as a defender of Christendom. Today you can view the Holy Crown in Budapest Parliament. Árpád and the seven leaders who led the Magyar tribes to Hungary (Előd, Ond, Kond, Tas, Huba, and Töhötöm), around 896 AD, can be seen on the stand below. Árpád's descendants formed the Hungarian royal dynasty. Statues of kings, governors and other important historical figures stand on top of the colonnades on either side of the center pillar. From left to right you can see: King St. Stephen – Hungary’s first king, founder of the Hungarian state, King St. László- a noble and king, several miracles are attributed to him, King Kálmán Könyves King Coloman de Beaiclerc-annexed Croatia and Dalmatia to Hungary, King András II – participated in the Crusades, King Béla IV – rebuilt the country after the Mongol invade in the 13th century, King Charles Robert – created a strong and wealthy Hungary in the first half of the 14th century, King I Nagy Lajos - son of Charles Robert, during his reign Hungary reached the greatest expansion of its territory, King Matthias – a Renaissance King who made Buda Europe’s cultural centre in the 15th century, István Bocskai- as a result of his fight against the Habsburg reign Transylvania became independent in 1606, Gábor Bethlen – prince of Transylvania in the 17th century, leader of an anti-Habsburg uprising, Imre Thököly – leader of Hungarian Protestants against the Habsburg rule, Ferenc Rákócz I - leader of the War of Independence against the Habsburgs in the 18th century, Lajos Kossuth – leader of the 1848/49 War of Independence. At the foot of each statue a small relief depicts the most important moment of the life of the personality.
The monument consists of two semi-circles on the top of which the symbols of War and Peace, Work and Welfare, Knowledge and Glory can be seen. Statues of the right colonnade: John Hunyadi - The Siege of Belgrade (1456), Matthias Corvinus, Matthias with his scholars, István Bocskay, Hajdú soldiers defeat the imperial forces, Gabriel Bethlen who concluded a treaty with Bohemia, Imre Thököly - The battle of Szikszó, Francis II Rákóczi - who returned from Poland, Lajos Kossuth - who rallied the peasants of the Great Plain.
Since many of the attractions weren't ready in time, in 1896, the festivities were held one year later in 1897. When the monument was originally constructed, Hungary was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and thus the last five spaces for statues on the left of the colonnade were reserved for members of the ruling Habsburg dynasty. From left to right these were Ferdinand I (relief: Defense of the Castle at Eger); Leopold I (relief: Eugene of Savoy defeats the Turks at Zenta), Charles III, Maria Theresa (relief: The Hungarian Diet votes support "vitam et sanguinem") and Franz Joseph (relief: Franz Joseph crowned by Gyula Andrássy). The Habsburg emperors were replaced with Hungarian freedom fighters when the monument was rebuilt after World War II. The memorial won the first prize at the 1900 World Exhibition in Paris. The monument was completely finished in 1929 and the square received its name 3 years later, in 1932.
During the Communist era the place saw many demonstrations on national Hungarian holidays. In 1989 a crowd of 250,000 gathered at the square for the reburial of Imre Nagy, former Prime Minister of Hungary, who was executed in 1958. Since 2002 the Millennium Monument together with Andrásy Avenue is part of UNESCO’s prestigious World Heritage sites.
The tomb of the unknown soldier can also be found in the square. The Hungarian War Memorial stands in front of the column commemorating the heroes who died for the independence of Hungary. A popular spot for wreath-laying ceremonies on national holidays. At the two sides the representative buildings of the Museum of Fine Arts and the Art Gallery both worth a visit with high standard temporary exhibitions, such as Van Gough, Rembrandt and the collections of Spanish and French paintings.
The National Museum of Fine Arts (Szépművészeti Múzeum):
NOTE: The Museum of Fine Arts Budapest is closed for renovation of the building. It cannot be visited from 16 February 2015 until the spring of 2018. A top-selection of 50 artworks from the Museum’s collections will be on show in the Hungarian National Gallery (in Buda Castle) from May 2015.
On the north side Heroes' Square is bordered by the Museum of Fine Arts, a museum with an exquisite collection of European art, housed in a monumental classical building.
The Hungarian Parliament in 1896 passed a law whereby art collections previously held in different institutions were to be joined and placed in the newly-established Museum of Fine Arts. The museum's gallery contains works from old masters including Raphael, Titian, El Greco, Goya, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Dürer and Rubens. The Museum of Fine Arts also has a collection of sculptures as well as artifacts from the Middle Ages, the Antiquity and Egypt.
The building itself, an imposing neoclassical structure, is pretty impressive. It was also designed by Albert Schickedanz with the help of Fülöp Herzog, his associate. It was opened in 1906. The gallery displaying original paintings was placed in the first floor halls of the Neo-Classical building; however, only plaster casts were available to illustrate a complete history of European sculpture. It was for these life-size copy sculptures that the Doric, Ionic, Romanesque, Renaissance and Baroque halls on the ground floor were designed, imitating the styles of individual periods of art history. However, as the number of original works increased, so the plaster sculptures (Soviet-influenced) were forced out of the building (the only one remaining, a copy of the group in the pediment of the temple of Zeus at Olympia, can be seen on the tympanum above the Museum's main entrance), and the ground floor galleries are now also used to display original works of art. On the ground floor are the exhibitions of the Classical Antiquities and of 19th century paintings and sculptures; the Renaissance hall, where in addition to Renaissance frescoes and fountains items from the Sculpture Collection may be seen; the Prints and Drawings Gallery with temporary exhibitions; and the Marble and Baroque halls. Due to the continuous renovation work on the building, individual permanent exhibitions of the Old Masters' Gallery may temporarily be moved.
The central hall of the museum:
Andrea Orcagna, The Death and Assumption of the Virgin, relief, 1350-1359:
Giovanni dal Ponte (1385-1431), The Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine of Alexandria, 1421:
Scenes from the Lives of the Early (Desert) Fathers - Fra Angelico (1420-1430):
Picture on a relief that had been brought from Padua, Italy - Mary, St. John and women crying under the cross, 1469-1489:
Venus, Lorenzo Costa the Elder, ca. 1515–1518:
Madonna and Child with Saint John the Baptist, Saint Sebastian and Donor Bassiano Da Ponte - Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio (Milan 1467 – 1516 Milan), 1508:
Venus, Lorenzo Costa the Elder, 1515–1518:
The Ill-matched Couple, Lucas Cranach the Elder, ca. 1520–1522:
Salome with the Head of Saint John the Baptist, Lucas "Cranach" the Elder, 1530s:
"The Last" Supper, Paolo Caylina (1485-1545), ca. 1540:
Isaac Blessing Jacob, Jan Sanders van Hemessen, 16th century:
Portrait of a Man, Jacopo "Tintoretto", 1551-1553:
Portrait of a Man, Paolo "Veronese", ca. 1555:
Kermis, Pieter Balten, ca. 1565:
"Juno", Italian Painter, second half of the 16th century:
Portrait of a Young Lady, Agnolo di Cosimo Bronzino (Florence 1503 – 1572 Florence), 1570s:
Saint James the Less, El Greco, ca. 1600:
The Garden of Eden with the Fall of Adam, Jan "Brueghel" the Elder, 1612–1613:
Paradise - Animals Entering Noah's Ark, Jan Brueghel the Elder, ca. 1613–1615:
St. John Speech, Jan Brueghel the Elder:
Portrait of a Man, Anthony van Dyck, ca. 1617–1620. Wonderful picture:
Portrait of a Married Couple, Anthony van Dyck, ca. 1617–1618:
Giovanni Andrea Sirani (1610–1670), Esther before Ahasuerus, 1630s:
Marco Liberi, Jupiter and Mnemosyne, XVII Century:
Marco Liberi, Lot and his Daughters:
Fidani Orazio (Florence 1606 – after 1656 Florence), Lot and his Daughters, mid-17th century:
Head of a Young Girl, Jan Lievens, ca. 1630–1631:
Portrait of a Man, Franz Hals, 1634:
A Peasant Wedding, Jan Steen, second half of the 17th century:
The 2nd of May, Eugenio Lucas Velazquez (1817-1870) - Spanish painter, 1869:
Infanta Margarita, Diego VELÁZQUEZ, 1660:
Portrait of a Man with Violoncello, Georg Christoph "Grooth", ca. 1739:
The Wife of Ceán Bermúdez (Mannuela Camas), Francisco Goya, ca. 1785:
The Water Carrier ("La Aguadora"), Francisco Goya, 1808 - 1812:
The Triumphal Arch of Titus in Rome, Franz von Lenbach, 1860. An amazing picture that looks like a photo:
Camille Corot ,Woman with Daisies, 1870:
Orphan Girls of Katwijk, Josef Israëls (Dutch painter), second half of the 19th century:
Hans Makkart - Nessos carrying Deianeira, 1880:
A Peasant Woman Knitting, Vincent van Gogh, 1885:
Maximilian Lenz, One World, 1889:
Franz von STUCK - The spring - 1902 (Gift of Conte Dénes Andrássy, 1911):
Two Women Embracing, Egon Schiele (Austrian painter), 1915:
Maurice Utrillo, Street Scene, 1920:
Laszlo Lakner’s early masterpiece, the Seamstresses Listen to Hitler’s Speech (1960) – hidden for many decades, and only recently dramatically brought to light. It would have been impossible to display such a work in Budapest in 1960. Hungarian society under the regime of János Kádár was yet to face up to the repressed trauma of the Holocaust:
Palace of Art:
Opposite the Museum of Fine Arts stands the Műcsarnok (Palace of Art), another Greek-like temple that nicely complements the design of the Museum of Art. The venue known to Hungarians simply as Müpa opened its doors in 2005. The Műcsarnok is an exhibition hall, mainly used to host temporary exhibitions. The Palace of Arts brings together the many and varied disciplines of the arts by providing a home for classical, contemporary, popular and world music, not to mention jazz and opera, as well as contemporary circus, dance, literature and film.
The building is another creation of Albert Schickedanz, also in cooperation with Fülöp Herzog. The Műcsarnok has a magnificent facade with colossal gilded columns. The tympanum is decorated with a colorful mosaic that shows St. Stephen as a patron of the arts. The buildings themselves are a wonder and Iyou'll like the interior as well. The programmes are interesting and sophisticated:
Palace of Arts at night:
There are three institutions housed in the building – the Béla Bartók National Concert Hall at its core, the Ludwig Museum nearest the Danube and the Festival Theatre on the far side.
The Béla Bartók National Concert Hall, is located at the heart of the new Palace of Arts and designed with the feel of a Gothic cathedral. The concert hall was ranked among the top five best acoustic halls in the world. The total capacity of the National Concert Hall is 1,700. This figure includes 130 podium seats that can be added for chamber concerts and standing room of 136 set aside for students in the side galleries on the second and third floors. TIPS: If you have a ticket to see a show at the concert hall or the theatre, you can get into the Ludwig Museum in the same complex to see the exhibitions for FREE on that evening or day: On the day of performance, anyone with a student ID (from anywhere in the world, I'm told, not just Hungary or the EU) can get standing room tickets to any MUPA concert for 500 Forint (about $2); the venue (or at least the ushers) don't discourage the standees from migrating to vacant seats once it is clear that those seats are not going to be filled. Tickets become available one hour before the concert:
The Bartók Béla Concert Hall's pipe organ, with its 92 registers and 5 manuals, was inaugurated in spring 2006. The organ in the Béla Bartók National Concert Hall is ranked among the largest concert hall organs in the world:
The Ludwig Museum occupies the wing of the building closest to the Danube and is Hungary's only museum dedicated exclusively to the collection and display of contemporary art. It houses a significant collection of modern international and Hungarian fine art. In collaboration with domestic and international organizations and partner institutions, the Ludwig Museum hosts eight or nine exhibitions each year. These have helped it play an increasingly important part in artistic discourse in recent years:
The Festival Theatre is situated in the eastern third of the building and seats 452 people. The hall is equipped with the latest sound technology, making it a fantastic venue for theatrical, dance, chamber music, jazz, world and pop music performances:
With a wonderful view of the Danube and unique chandeliers glowing in a variety of colours, the Glass Room is the conference area of the Palace of Arts:
MUPA main Ticket offices: Budapest IX., Komor Marcell u. 1, Tel.: +36 1 555 3300, +36 1 555 3301, Open: everyday from 10.00 until 18.00. Budapest VI., Andrássy út 28, Tel.: +36 1 555 3310, +36 1 555 3311, Open:
MON -FRI from 10.00 until 19.00, SAT from 11.00 until 19.00. Enter www.mupa.hu for English program and online tickets.
Dining at the Palace of Arts, MUPA: The Bohemian Restaurant, MUPA - open from Monday to Friday, from 12.00 to 21.00. In addition to fine dining, you can also rub shoulders with famous actors, soloists and composers.
Art Coffee House, MUPA: open daily from 10.00 to 22.00. the terrace tables overlooking the River Danube are a great place to unwind, surf the Internet and meet friends.
Budapest City Park – Budapest Varosliget:
The Budapest City Park (Városliget) is a public park in Budapest close to the city centre and Its main entrance is from the Heroes' Square (Hősök tere) (its north-west edge).
The area was formerly called Ökör-dűlő, meaning "Oxmeadow". The first mention of the name comes from 1241 in the archaic form, Ukurföld. In the 18th century the area was called Ochsenried in German. Around 1800 the official name was changed to Batthyány-erdő (Batthyány Forest) after its tenants, the Batthyány family. The Hungarian kings were elected here between the 13th-16th centuries. It was also a favourite hunting ground of noblemen. Later, trees were planted in the territory and the first trees and walkways were established in 1751. After the public park was completed in the first decades of the 19th century the present-day name, Városliget was accepted and it became the first public park in the world. The City Park was the main venue of Hungary 1896 millennium celebrations, by which time Andrássy Avenue, Millennium Underground and the Grand Boulevard were built.
The best way to explore the park is to take walk from its western end (the Heroes' Square and the Zoo and walk south-eastward to the Vajdahunyad Castle (see below) or southward and back to the castle. Pack some sandwiches and refreshments and have a picnic on the lawn under the shades of trees. The park is really attractive any time of year but I personally recommend the park for summer strolls in and out of the shade of the sycamore trees.
Castle Vajdahunyad, Budapest, XIV. Városliget, Széchenyi-sziget: The biggest museum of agriculture in Europe can be found in the Castle of Vajdahunyad on the Széchenyi-island in Városliget, in outstanding building. It is marvelous just to walk around the castle and to admire its many architectural features such as its Baroque facade and Gothic portcullis. The castle complex consists of a combination of four different architectural styles: the Romanesque, the Gothic, the Transitional and the Baroque. The designer of this mixture, Ignác Alpár merged different architectural styles, made use of different elements, details of well-known buildings of historical Hungary. Citizens of Budapest named this group of buildings "Vajdahunyad castle" on the basis of the part of palace to be seen from the lake. The building was erected originally for the Millennial Exhibition, and it has been used to host the museum of agriculture starting in 1897. The castle's most enchanting sections are based on an old castle of the Hunyad clan from Transylvania, this is the part of the castle that faces the lake of Budapest City Park. Note: it's closed to the public most of the time, except for the section which houses the museum:
Entering the main entrance we proceed through the marble arched court up to the first floor via marble staircase. You can cast a glance over the inside of the building while visiting the exhibitions. Beautifully painted walls, enormous crystal chandelliers, carved pillars, stained windows can also be seen.
The Baroque section of the castle houses the Agricultural museum. This museum is the largest museum of its kind in Hungary and Europe. The Hungarian Agricultural museum features exhibitions about the Hungarian history of agriculture, the Hungarian grapes, wine production in Hungary, as well as about wines in Europe. There are some exhibitions dedicated to the history of hunting and fishing in Hungary, as well as a section about Hungarian domestic animals:
Some meters further from the entrance to the castle you will find on your left a very attractive small chapel, the Ják chapel. The Ják chapel in the Budapest city park is an exact reproduction of the entrance of the Benedictine Abbey of Ják . This medieval church was found in 1214 in Ják, a small village located in the western Transdanubia region of Hungary, about 10 km south from the city of Szombathely and near the Austrian border. The facade of the chapel is beautifully decorated with sphinxes and religious statues in Romanesque style. Ják chapel (Jaki Kapolna) is a favorite place among locals for summer weddings. Note: this chapel is closed most of the time:
Another point of interest is just in front of the museum's main entrance is a sculpture entitled "The Statue of Anonymus" completed in 1903 by Hungarian artist and sculptor Miklós Ligeti. The somewhat haunting statue is honoring a man of whom nobody knows. Supposedly the fellow man in the sculpture was the first medieval Hungarian chronicler whose works tell us about Hungary's early history. His chronicles were mostly based on legends and recorded in a manuscript called Gesta Hungarorum (the Deeds of the Hungarians)which is kept at the Szechenyi Library - so his name remains Anonymus. Locals consider of good luck to touch the pen Anonymus is holding in his hand:
Lake of Budapest City Park: Surrounding the Vajdahunyad castle is the city lake with its ice skating rink and its enthusiasts in winter and the opportunity of rowing throughout the rest of the year. It is a great place to feed ducks and to have fun at the surrounding playgrounds. Every winter the lake is turned into the biggest ice skating rink of Budapest. A great place for one of local's favorite winter activities. Note: during my visit the lake was dotted with temporarily-exhibited sculptures:
There are many fun winter things to do in Budapest, but one of the best ones is surely the popular Budapest Outdoor Ice Rink in the City Park (Varosligeti Mujegpalya. While the enormous ice rink in the City Park is an innocent lake boat in the summer time, in winter time it turns into a popular venue for skating, skiing, learning to skate, parties and more. in December one of the Budapest Christmas Markets opens at the Vajdahunyad Castle. Opening Hours of the Budapest Ice Rink can change day by day in the winter season, so the following hours are a general guide for the opening times: MON – TUE from 9.00 13.00, 17.00 - 20.00. WED – FRI from 9.00 to 13.00, 16.00 - 20.00. SAT – SUN from 10.00 to 14.00, 16.00 - 20.00. Skate rental prices for the Ice Rink: 1 Hour: 700 HUF, 2 Hours: 1300 HUF, 3 Hours: 1800 HUF, 4 Hours: 2200 HUF. Deposit: 10000 HUF / skates (or you need to leave an ID document, like your passport as the deposit):
Slide Park in Varosliget:
Szechenyi Baths: Szechenyi Spa is a wonderful complex of baths built in neo Baroque style in 1909-1913. This is the largest medicinal bath in Europe. The complex consists of three outdoor and twelve indoor pools, as well as a big variety of services such as infra sauna, mud packing, and Finnish saunas, steam baths, massages of all kinds and therapeutic and cosmetic and treatments. At least, enter the baths complex and take a look at its interior. You will be able to see a part of the outdoor pools from the outside windows, at the reception area or from any of the entrances. Components of the thermal water include sulphate, calcium, magnesium, bicarbonate and a significant amount of fluoride acid and metaboric acid. Medical indications are on degenerative joint illnesses, chronic and sub-acute joint inflammations, as well as orthopedic and post-traumatic treatments. Opening hours: Outdoor swimming pools: 06.00 to 22.00, Steam department: 06.00 to 19.00, Thermal department: 06.00 to 19.00, Pump hall: 09.00 to 17.00. Entry fee: about 16 Euros:
You can arrive, directly, to the baths with the Metro and get off at the Szechényi Fürdő station which takes you right in front of the Szechenyi baths (Yellow M1- Millennium Underground line) line of the Budapest Metro,. Or you can take one of the following buses 105 and 30 or trolleybuses: 72,75 or 79:
Budapest Zoo & Botanical Garden:
Please allow, at least, 3-4 hours for visit in this marvelous zoo. An excellent half day. Worth a visit, but will take even a full good day to see all of it !
The area is large, so wear good walking shoes.
No English signage.
The gardens are especially beautiful In full bloom.
Prices: adult - 2500 HUF (London zoo is four times the price...).25% reduction with Budapst Card. Impossibile to pay with credit card. No cash machines (ATMs) around. Have some cash in your pocket:
The Japanese Garden:
Butterflies farm (imported from Costa Rica - CRES):
DO NOT MISS THE SPECIAL HUNGARIAN FOOD -
Kürtőskalács: Kürtőskalács is made from sweet, yeast dough (raised dough), of which a strip is spun and then wrapped around a truncated cone–shaped baking spit, and rolled in granulated sugar. It is baked above charcoal cinders while lubricated with melted butter, until its surface gets a golden-brown color. During the baking process the sugar stuck on kürtőskalács becomes caramel and forms shiny, crispy crust on the cake. The surface of cake can then be provided with additional toppings such as ground walnut or cinnamon powder:
Only if you curious about and must try this once legendary place then have authentic Hungarian dishes in the famous Gundel restaurant. The Restaurant earned his shine since Károly Gundel opened this house in 1910. Its reputation was strong enough to survive the stormy decades of war and communist nationalisation. Having been privatised in 1992 the GUNDEL took back its deserved position in Hungary as the country’s leading restaurant. I Because of its fame it’s still one of the most expensive restaurants in Budapest.
Address: Állatkerti körút 2., XIV. district. Opening hours: Gundel Restaurant: 12.00-24.00, Latinovits Bar: 09.00-24.00, Sunday Brunch 11.30-15.00, Gundel Patisserie 9.00-19.00. Reservations: http://www.gundel.hu/en/.
All-you-can-eat buffet for 6 500 HUF, 3 400 HUF for children under 12 years of age and free for kids under 4. An extensive wine list with offers from their own cellar as well as other wineries in Hungary.
Prices: Soups: 3 600 – 4 800 HUF, Main dishes: 5 800- 49 000 HUF (a langouste dish), Desserts: 2 200 – 2 900 HUF, 3-course daily menu: 3 900 – 6 500 (you can get way better and cheaper than this in other restaurants of the city). The higher end of the price spectrum !!!
Bagolyvár (Owl’s Castle), Állatkerti körút 3., XIV. district:
If Gundel is too expensive for you, try Hungarian home-style cooking in Bagolyvár next door (next to the Budapest Zoo). In 1913, after having taken over his restaurant in the City Park, Károly Gundel decided to open another restaurant of family-style next door for the visitors of the Budapest Zoo. A large wooden building occupied the area where owls may have lived once - that is where the name Owl's Castle originates from. Slightly lower prices but quality is unfortunately not better. The place used to have good reputation and quality food but not anymore: good or average at most. Bagolyvár is a sister restaurant to the famous Gundel, run by women only. The restaurant offers traditional Hungarian family-style cooking at affordable prices.
Daily menu (3 courses): 2 900 – 3 900 HUF, Hungarian falvors menu: 4 700 HUF (goulash soup, chicken paprikas, and Somló sponge cake) main dishes: 2 600 – 5 900 HUF. TRADITIONAL HUNGARIAN MENU: Hungarian Goulash Soup with pinched Noodles and Hot Green Pepper, Chicken Paprikash from Chicken Breast served with Egg Dumplings, Sponge Cake 'Somló' Style - 4 700 HUF.
Open: 12.00 – 23.00. Table reservation: http://en.bagolyvar.com/table-reservation.html
Varosliget Restaurant: to the right side of the Information Office in the City park, Olof Palme stny. 5:
The restaurant / cafe is in a prefect location, very modern, international cuisine. Fantastic views over the lake/ice-rink to the castle and the extensive park grounds. Live jazz guitarist playing. Delicious food, friendly staff members, cheap to average prices, pleasant atmosphere. Recommended - a lovely place !